Road Trip: Preparing for Spring Break College VisitsFeb 14, 2019
Using your spring break to visit colleges is a great idea, but be aware of spring break schedules for the colleges you wish to visit. It’s best to see a college when students are on campus. Here are a few tips to prepare for your spring college visits.
- Create a College Visit Itinerary. Using a map, look at college locations and decide on an itinerary that fits within your given time. Don’t worry if you can’t see all of the colleges on your list. Focus on some of your top choices and then plan other school visits that are within the same geographic area.
- Register for college visits online. Once you have a list of colleges to visit, register for campus tours online with the admissions office. Resist the urge to plan “drive through” visits. An official campus tour takes more time but gives you a better feel for the college/campus. And don’t plan too many visits in a day – one or two per day is best.
- Review your priorities for a good college fit. As discussed in the blog What is College Fit, fit includes three components; social, academic, and financial.
- Learn the basics. Look up the school’s size, majors offered, and other details that interest you.
Your visit will be more meaningful when you know the basics.
- Create a List of Questions. Write down your Top 10 Questions for each college visit. Focus on what you would study.
Use GuidedPath to find links to college admission offices to schedule visits. Take a virtual tour of a college by viewing YOUniversityTV videos from the “Tours” tab.
Review the details on the colleges by clicking on the “Info” and “FISKE” tabs. Watch for next week’s email: How to make the most of your college visits.
Don't miss a beat!
Get my Newsletter sent to your email box with the latest strategies, tools, and college planning insight.
We hate SPAM. We will never sell your information, for any reason.